Gregg A. Sprunger is serving his first term as Mayor of the City of Berne, having been elected in the fall of 2019. Gregg was first elected to public office in 1989 as the District 2 City Council representative and served in that capacity until assuming the office of Mayor. During that time, he served as the President of the Berne City Council and the Berne Plan Commission. Gregg recently retired from the First Bank of Berne as Asst. Vice-President of Purchasing and Facilities Manager. Gregg and his wife Barb are the parents of 3 children and 12 grandchildren.
Gregg and Barb are active members of First Missionary Church, where he serves as usher, greeter, audit committee member and various other activities. Gregg is also the treasurer for the Berne Rotary Club and the Berne Republican Party. Gregg’s hobbies include landscaping, reading, and watching sports. Gregg is especially passionate about his favorite football team, the Green Bay Packers.
As a life-long resident of Berne, Gregg is honored to serve the citizens of Berne as Mayor.
Office Phone Number: (260) 589-0081
Cell Phone Number (260) 849-9109
Mailing address; City of Berne, 158 W. Franklin Street, Berne Indiana 46711
Duties as Mayor Include:
As chief executive, the mayor is responsible for the overall operation of city government. The mayor's term of office is for four years with no restrictions on the number of terms which can be served. The mayor’s powers and duties include:
- Enforcing the ordinances of the city and the statutes of the state;
- Calling special meetings of the legislative body when necessary;
- Supervising subordinate officers;
- Filling vacancies in city offices when required;
- Signing all bonds, deeds, and contracts of the city and all licenses issued by the city;
- Approving or vetoing ordinances, orders, and resolutions of the legislative body;
- Appointing the heads of executive departments, employees of the departments, and most board and commission members;
- Adopting rules and regulations for individual departments;
- Preparing the city budget for council review;
- Serving as presiding officer of the council
The Mayor’s office will be staffed Monday-Friday 8:00 am-4:30 pm to assist you in scheduling an appointment with the Mayor, or to address any immediate questions or concerns that you wish the Mayor to be made aware of. You are encouraged to call the mayor’s office at 589-0081 for assistance.